Serves 6 as an appetizer course
2 pounds large (16-20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
10 whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Simmer Spice Mix: Add 12 cups of water to a large heavy pot. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze juice into pot then add lemon halves. Add peppercorns, paprika and salt and bring to a simmer (not a rapid boil, with bubbles breaking before they hit the surface, between 160 – 180 degrees.
2. Poach Shrimp: Add shrimp and poach for 4 minutes or so until shrimp are just cooked though.
3. Drain Shrimp: Drain shrimp in a colander and rinse with cold water for several minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel, if necessary.
4. Chill Shrimp: Chill until ready to serve, at least 1 hour.
5. Serve & Enjoy: Serve with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce. Enjoy.
John’s Famous Cocktail Sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon extra hot horseradish (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1. Make Sauce & Enjoy: Combine ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Serve with poached shrimp. Enjoy!