Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 Tablespoon cooking oil of choice, such as avocado oil
1 medium white or yellow onion, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
6 cups gluten free low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 3/4 to 1 pound)
1 can (15 ounce size) black beans, rinsed and drained
juice from one lime
4 ounces gluten free corn tortilla chips
1 cup tomatoes, core and seeds removed, chopped
1 ripe avocado, pitted, cut into large dice
1/4 cup sour cream, for serving
1/2 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
1/4 cup sized handful fresh cilantro leaves
2 green onions, sliced thin, for serving
1. Cook Onion: Heat oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onion, cumin, ancho chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and minced garlic. Cook until onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
2. Cook Chicken: Add broth to pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken to pot, reduce heat to medium, and cook chicken until it is no longer pink and is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
3. Shred Chicken: When chicken is cooked through, remove from pot and set aside on a plate to cool. Return broth to a boil and cook for 10 minute, stirring a few times. When chicken is cool enough to touch, shred into pieces that will fit on a spoon.
4. Finish Broth: Remove pan from heat. Add black beans and lime juice and stir to combine. Cover and let rest 5 minutes, allowing beans to heat through.
5. Serve & Enjoy: Divide the tortilla chips evenly among serving bowls. Repeat with shredded chicken. Ladle broth into each bowl. Top each serving with with tomato, then avocado, then sour cream, then grated cheese, then cilantro and finally, the green onions. Serve immediately. Enjoy!